Friday, December 31, 2010

A Favorite Birthday Meal

Last night we celebrated Silas' 12th Birthday meal.  A tradition in our home is the Birthday person picks the meal and dessert. 

Silas' Bday was the 28th but we weren't home for supper that night, so we had it last night.

(This is one regret I'll always have, I should not have let the doctor induce me on that day.  I was only 6 days late by the 28th and wish I had waited until after the New Year.  I always feel like Silas is a bit "jipped" because we've been busy many years on his official day and he has to wait.  He never complains or even has commented about it but it's one thing in life I wish I had done differently.  The doctor was going away on New Year's and said she wanted the delivery done so she could relax.  Oh well,, just a thought that felt good to get off my chest).  :)

The top three meals picked are pizza, shepherd's pie and spaghetti with clam sauce. 
Silas picked the last one so I thought I'd share how I make it.

My Mom made it for us growing up and we always LOVED it when she made it!

First I take about 5-6 garlic cloves (not a whole garlic but the pieces off a garlic) and mince them in my garlic press into a large sauce pan.  The garlic is lightly fried in about 4 table spoons of butter.


Once that's all cooked, add 5 cans chopped clams.  I add one can of water for each can of clams.


Add 1/4 cup dried parsley and a few dashes of salt.

Let come to a soft boil.  I add about 3 tbs flour mixed with 3/4 C water to thicken a bit.

Heat and serve over spaghetti or your favorite kind of noodle.  It's great with parmesan cheese sprinkled on it.


Silas picked a trifle for his dessert.  I'll share another time that recipe.  It's another favorite (especially of my friend Jaime!)


3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SILAS...the cake looks YUMMY! and so colorful, too! Hope your day was more than special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, Spaghetti and Clam Sauce! We had that so much the first year we were married, we got a little burned out on it... but it sounds good now! :) Happy Birthday, Silas! You'll have to be like my father-in-law and celebrate a sixth month birthday instead of a December one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday "Smiley". He's a happy guy. 12 already. That trifle looks so good. I like all the layers, strawberries and kiwi. Is it angel food cake? What did Silas get for his B'day? Does he have skates? I think the ones I got are a size 8.
    Ha, I just bought 6 cans of clams to make that next week!

    ReplyDelete