Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pass the Hammer, Please

I had a large list for today.  I like to have a list and try to get it all done.

First thing was to move two trees and plant them by the back patio.  Our large maple tree that shaded that area in the past, died and we really noticed a difference this summer without it.  It'll be many years before the two I planted today produce the same amount of shade.

Next was to get the hammer and my good knife.  I got some turnip yesterday and wanted to get it cooking.


I have to use a hammer to cut through it

Since the woodstove is going today, I thought it would be a good time to do them.  My mouth is watering just smelling it, I simply LOVE turnip!



The fruit and vege stand that I buy our fall produce from closed this past week.  I went there the last day it was open and got lots of deals. 
She sold me a large box of squash for $11.  The boys all love squash so I steamed them all today and got it all in the freezer.





I also bought some cranberries from the stand.
I have a muffin recipe and I only make the muffins in the fall.  I decided since I was going to be in the kitchen most of the morning, I'd make them too.  They're a bit of work (lots of different cutting) but they're so worth it. 
Some baked goods I make knowing they're not the best for our health, but at least I know what's in them.
These muffins are not like those.  I enjoy seeing the boys eat them, knowing all the ingredients are good for them.

They also pass Mark's bread test.  He read somewhere, "The whiter the bread, the quicker you're dead."  I often hear him quoting that to the boys about not eating white flour.  I can't believe how much he's changed since we were first married :)

They were some honkin' apples!

It creates tons of dishes and a full freezer for winter :)

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful day!! Those muffins sure look tasty :)

    blessings,
    SnoWhite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muffins look YUM!!! Turnips, not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to post the muffin recipe! I like the quote. Did you put in apples and cranberries? I have a good pumpkin muffin recipe that I could probably just add cranberries to. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete