Thursday, April 28, 2011

Venison Jerky

The boys love jerky!
Each Christmas they get gift cards and they'd spend the whole thing 
on jerky.  I don't let them as it's so expensive for the amount you 
get and it's got so much junk in it.

I saw a tool that you can make jerky out of ground beef.
 I ordered it from WalMart's online site (our store didn't have any in stock
as it's considered a seasonal item).  It was around $13.


We already had the dehydrator.  I got that at a yard
sale for $5!  I love having it for fun things like this.

I mixed some spices in the meat.
We had oodles of ground venison given to us.  I actually need to 
get using it up as I was told we'd be getting more soon so this was a great
way to do that.

I tried two different recipes to see if the gang could tell the difference and if 
they had a favorite.  They could tell and had a definate favorite.


I filled the tube with spicy meat and squirt it on to the trays.


Then it began to change before our eyes.  
The smell has been drifting all through the house, tormenting the boys.
They want to eat it but it wasn't  quite done yet.

 This was the best pose I could get of them testing it, stubborn boys!
 
 This morning they tried some.  Although, they've 
been sneaking pieces all along as I keep finding empty spots and keep adding more
spicy meat to the empty tray.




Recipes: 
#1 Recipe I tried

3 pounds ground beef
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp garlic (I added alot more!)
2 tsp cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper

The boys said this one was ok.  Not real spicy and it tasted like tacos.

#2 Recipe tried

3 lbs ground beef
1/2 C liquid smoke
1/2 C worcestershire sauce
1 C brown sugar
3 Tbs garlic
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

The boys said this one tasted like the "real" stuff!  It's not as 
good for them with the brown sugar and I have no clue what's in the liquid smoke.

What a fun treat for the gang here!  I don't care for jerky so it's not near as
thrilling for me :)


http://www.savedbylovecreations.com/




1 comment:

  1. How neat!!! I never saw that tool before. What a great way to get MUCH healthier jerky!!!

    ReplyDelete