Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Twenty Pounds of Potatoes

The last big job was to get the potatoes in.
I still have smaller things like green beans, cucumbers
and squash.
I dreaded doing the potatoes, I
kept putting it off. 
This morning I woke up determined to get it done!

My fella had already rototilled  the spot.
I had to pull out the weeds that were left, 
hoe the rows and plant.

Addan came out and helped me.
I'm so thankful for times like this.
In a large family, it takes extra effort to spend time with 
each child.  This will be a time he remembers, especially
this winter when I remind him of how our work paid off in yummy
mashed potatoes and shepherd's pie!

I got the ground ready and hoed each row.
Addan came after me and planted all the seed potatoes.

He chattered away the whole time.
I'm usually so busy that I often don't really hear their chatter.
I know this is bad!!!  That's why these times are so nice
to have together.  I had nowhere to go and he had my
full attention.

"Mom, can I start burying them?


The job is done and it ended up being a fun time together!



http://wearethatfamily.com/

http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful!! It's hard to believe how much Addan has grown up! It's nice that you get that time with him...and get something great done, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I only have 3, it's hard to find time with each of them, too. I planted potatoes for the first time this year. How do I know when to harvest them? They are very tall and green and some of the ones that my MIL planted earlier already have flowers. When do we lift them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I harvest mine once the plants died back. We got last of yummy, big ones last year!

    ReplyDelete