Monday, July 25, 2011

The Cough that Wouldn't Let Go

                                              In past posts, you see that I totally
enjoy garlic.
I enjoy cooking with it.
I enjoy growing it.
I especially love the health benefits of it.

Recently, I again saw it's "powers"
at work.

Jordan, our oldest, has always been like me, in that,
if he gets tired, he gets sick.
In May he started working full time days.
In June he went to junior camp with our boys
followed by a week of teen camp.
The weekend in between the camps he started hacking
and coughing.  He kept saying he felt like
he was getting sick.
He rested over the weekend, trying to get enough energy
for teen camp.
He decided the morning we left for teen camp to go.
I knew he didn't feel well but also didn't want him to miss
out on the week he was so looking forward to.

He grabbed the Vit C bottle and went to camp.
While he was there at camp, he didn't seem better.
I could hear him sneezing and coughing during the meetings.
Each time I'd hear him, I pray he'd be feeling better soon.

As a Mom it's so hard seeing your kids not well but also
know these are the times that cause them to grow on
their own.  Many lessons can be learned from
sticking it out even though you don't feel up to it.

After camp, the cough continued and got worse.
Monday and Tuesday he went to work.
By Tuesday, the sickness caught up to him and the cough
got deep into his lungs. 
Each time I heard it, I thought to myself
"That does not sound good."
When he got home from work Tuesday night, he said he was sick.
He went right to bed.
Wednesday he called in sick to work.

I knew he was real sick as he doesn't like
skipping work, especially as he'd taked two weeks off
recently to go to camp.


Red Clover plant

All day Wednesday I pumped herbal
teas into him.  I made ones that with herbs that are good for
coughs.
I also gave him three garlic capsules every hour or two.

Garlic is said to be a natural antibiotic.  If he has some
sort of infection, the garlic would help.
I also know that consuming it WON'T hurt so why not load him up.
With lots of herbal teas & honey, Vit C, and garlic being
pumped into him and LOTS of sleep, Jordan
went to work the next day.
The cough lasted about a week but was sounding
less deep in his chest.

The week after Jordan got this, we found out there were
others with similar illnesses.  In the other cases,
it was diagnosed as broncitus and pnenomia.
The doctor's remedy was antibiotics.
I try  to avoid antibiotics.
I'm so thankful to the Lord that none of our children have
been put on them.  God has given
natural remedies that I try to implement first and they've
always done their job.




Mullein plant


(I'm not opposed to doctors and their medicines.  There
are times and cases they are truly needed and are so helpful.
But, I do feel that natural is best, when it can be done.)

It's now three weeks after camp, and the cough
still shows it's nastiness at times.
I've praised the Lord again and again for His goodness
in providing garlic for our home.


Peppermint plant


The herbal tea I made contained:
Red Clover-  good for preventative of health problems
Mullein- used in respiratory problems and pulmonary diseases
Peppermint- excellent for fever and flus

(Taken from THE HOW TO HERB BOOK)

Other books I constantly refer to are
PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING
and
HOW TO RAISE A HEALTHY CHILD
IN SPITE OF YOUR DOCTOR

I just asked Jordan what vitamins he took while he was
sick and he told me they were:
Vitamin C, Alfalfa, Garlic,
Cod Liver Oil and my tincture.

Rest, healthy eating, lots of fluids,
herbs and vitamins.

I personally get our family vitamins from a company
called Beeyoutiful.
I get nothing for promoting them here but thought
if you were interested in getting good quality
vitamins/remedies, I'd mention my supplier.
This is where I get our garlic capsules, cod liver oil and
alfalfa.
It's also where I get our boy's vitamins.







No comments:

Post a Comment